Plex is a worth noting media player app to stream your favorite media content. It is a smart streaming tool that supports storing, organizing, and streaming your media files. In addition to Android, iOS, Windows and Mac PC, Fire TV, Apple TV, etc, the Plex app can also be accessed on Chromebook. You can organize your media files like videos, movies, TV shows, and photos or stream them with one tap. Besides this, Plex on Chromebook supports playing more than 60 million songs and podcasts. Further, it supports streaming over-the-air content including web shows, Plex news, and more. Above all, you can buy Plex Pass, a premium service of Plex to access features like mobile sync, parental controls, Plex DVR, cloud storage integration, multiple user support, cross-selling offers, etc.
- $4.99 – 1 month.
- $39.99 – 12 months.
- $119.99 – Lifetime
Methods to Install Plex on Chromebook
There are two different ways in which Plex can be installed on Chromebooks.
- Steps to Install Plex on Chromebook using Google Play Store
- Steps to Install Plex on Chromebook using Plex Web
- You should set up Plex Media Server on the Network Attached Storage (NAS) device. With this, you can store all the media files like music, videos, photos, movies, etc, on the Plex Media Server.
- After that, you should enable Remote access to the media files on Plex client apps.
- Sign up for a Plex Media Server account.
1. Steps to Install Plex on Chromebook using Google Play Store
If you have recent models of Chromebook, then it supports the Google Play Store. With this, Plex can be installed easily.
Note: Installing an app on Chromebook is just the same way as installing an Android app.
1. Turn on your Chromebook first. Hover to click on the Google Play Store.
2. Click on the Play Store search box to type as Plex. Just tap on the enter button.
3. Choose the Plex app from the search results to proceed further.
4. Click on the Install button on the installation page.
5. Wait for the app to install on Chromebook. Once done, tap on the Open button.
6. Plex app will be launched on your Chromebook and you can start streaming your favorite content.
Related: How to use Plex on Chromecast
2. Steps to Install Plex on Chromebook using Plex Web
If your Chromebook doesn’t have Google Play Store support, then you can use Plex via the web. The steps below will help you out with the same.
1. Open the Chrome web browser on your Chromebook at first.
2. Type Plex web in the address bar and tap the enter button.
3. Select the official website of the Plex web from the search result (https://plex.tv/web).
4. After that, you shall enter your Plex media server login id and password on the next screen.
5. Upon successful configuration, you can access your media files from the Plex media server effortlessly.
Related: How to Install Netflix on Chromebook
Either of the methods will work for you to install Plex on Chromebook. With this, you will get the uninterrupted streaming experience right on your Chromebook at any time. Start a 30-day free trial and then subscribe to Plex Pass for uninterrupted streaming.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can get Plex on Chromebook using Google Play Store or by using the Plex website. To know more, refer to the blog.
Yes. Plex is free to use with certain limitations. To access more features, you need to get a subscription.
Yes. You can download videos from the Plex media server.